Motherhood = going crazy one day at a time!

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Never Fear

Never fear, the shoes are here! We made it through that crisis with a little help from Ethan's wallet. I can't believe it has started already, when I was growing up it was Jordache jeans and later Girbeau jeans. Although I was vain and cared mostly about the name brand, for Ethan it is all about fit and comfort. He is one of the pickiest kids I know about how things "feel." Hopefully our successful management this small "crisis" is only a good indicator of our ability to deal with the coming challenges of adolescence! HA!

Anyway, the next real crisis appears to be a coming food shortage. I went to CostCo this morning to get a little milk etc. and there was a run on wheat. Ryan and I have been talking about adding more to our food storage and so I picked up several 45 lb. buckets of wheat, for which there was a 10 limit per membership. You should have seen the wheat flying out of that place! Next I went to get a 50 lb. bag of rice, since I saw on several news programs last night that rice is in high demand and costs are rising. Apparently everbody else saw the same programs...No rice. Not one bag of white rice, of any kind, in the entire store. What's going on? It felt a little Y-2K-ish in the market today.

With the forclosures rising, the markets suffering, food costs skyrocketing, and all this use of the "R" word - that's "recession" for those of you who can't read my mind, I can see how easy it is to become uneasy and fearful about the future. I just keep trying to remember what the prophets have counseled, to avoid becoming fearful, and to realistically prepare for the future by putting aside little by little. The first presidency has repeatedly said:

"We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve."

I only hope that our little by little will see us through whatever comes!

5 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

I noticed the same thing yesterday at our costco!

Kristin said...

I agree. My friends are talking about buying a cow. Some already have chickens. We have 400# of wheat, but I guess that's only 1/3 of what is recommended. I can't buy rice down here either. The real kicker is gas, it hit $3.58 today.
Nice shoes E.

Leslie said...

Your mom said that they bought a cow once and split in with some friends. I don't know about now, but she said that it didn't end up being cost effective for them. Yeah, our purchases today are only a drop in the food storage bucket.

Melissa said...

I'm glad E found himself some shoes and I'm sorry you didn't get all the food you felt you needed.
I'm hoping that what Dru and I are doing will be enough to recieve the blessings of help when the time comes. We have about half the food storage our family needs for a year. We're working on it though.

Clark Captions said...

Nice shoes! And, way to go on working on your food storage. This is a big goal of our family's too. We our lucky to have a gal in our ward who has a lot of connections. She has been able to get us good quality wheat for a good deal, so we have been able to stock up a bit. Good luck with everything!